Book Review - Empty Cup by Suzanne Costigan

Empty Cup - Suzanne Costigan

Synopsis ~

Mom’s new boyfriend is creepy.

On the night of her seventeenth birthday, Raven finds out he isn’t just creepy, he’s dangerous. He leaves Raven broken and bleeding, but Mom blames her for what happened. She kicks Raven out of the house with nothing but a blanket to protect her from a frigid winter night.

Alone.

Devastated.

Abandoned.

As Raven struggles with the aftermath of the ultimate betrayal, she seeks solace in her imagination and a teacher who seems to understand her situation. She ultimately discovers that her world won’t change if she relies upon someone else to do it. Real change begins within.

“…Sure to prompt reflection and provocative discussions on important issues.”
-Allan Stratton, author of Leslie’s Journal

“Not an easy story, but an important one. Compelling, powerful, and engaging.”
-Eric Walters, author of Power Play.

My Thoughts ~

This is one of those books where it is so hard to write a review because you don't want to give anything away. But what I will say is that this story will make you mad - really, really mad. You will want to wish horrific things on Raven's mother's boyfriend and you will be shaking your head at the total insensitivity of Raven's mother. I mean, the actions of the mother? Who does that to your own child? There are other aspects of this story that will have you shaking your head, but in the end, this is a story of one girl trying to survive a terrible act with really no support group and in the end knowing that if she wants to change things, it is up to her to make it happen.

Empty Cup is a story like no other. It's a story that will make you cry and a story that will infuriate you. At least that is what the story did for me. Rape is never a fun topic, but the author has taken a very tough subject and created a story that will draw you in from the very first sentence and you can't help but hold on for dear life as you travel this journey with Raven.

This story broke my heart right from the start, and continued right until the very end. Raven's story will definitely have a place in my heart for quite some time and is one that I would recommend to anyone.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Source: http://avidbookcollector.blogspot.com/2015/03/book-review-blog-tour-empty-cup-by.html