Book Review ~ An Imaginary House by the Sea (Bridgeport #1) by Cecily Gates

An Imaginary House by the Sea (A Bridgeport Novel) (Volume 1) - Cecily Gates

Synopsis~

“Love is a messy thing. That hopelessly devoted, deep-in-your-bones kind of love we used to dream about when we were kids—it turns out that it’s hard. It aches. It takes time. Like a house that weathers the ages, it must be built, brick by brick.”

Snarky and ambitious Dawn Campbell almost had it all: a job producing lavish celebrity events, a hip downtown apartment, and a studmuffin of a boyfriend. But after losing all three in one fell swoop, Dawn finds herself resorting to the unimaginable: returning home to Bridgeport, an oceanside town where the air smells sweet but not much happens.

When a chance encounter brings her into the sturdy arms of John Brown, her childhood best friend, old feelings come rushing back. As the sparks fly, life finally starts to look up for Dawn...until she meets his wife.

Marguerite Brown has everything that Dawn doesn’t: a killer fashion sense, a breathtaking beauty, and a French accent—oh, and the kind of temperament that makes great white sharks seem docile in comparison. Determined to release John from an unhappy marriage, Dawn turns on the charm and makes a plan to finally win back her one-that-got-away.

But after Dawn stumbles upon a secret that, up until now, Marguerite has meticulously kept hidden, the two women are thrust into an unexpected friendship. An Imaginary House by the Sea follows Dawn’s journey towards self-rediscovery, finding purpose, and building a more complex, steadfast kind of love than she could have ever imagined.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Thoughts~

I absolutely LOVED this book! The author’s writing is like a well-orchestrated symphony – the words flowing effortlessly and beautifully - telling a story of family, lost love, unlikely new friendships and grief. But most of all, this story is about life and the choices a person makes that determines the direction in their life. With attention to details and vivid descriptions, it was so easy to become engrossed in the story, seeing the events unfold before my eyes.

An Imaginary House by the Sea is indeed a very emotional read, so before you even start, grab a box of tissues – you will need them without a doubt! But it’s not all tears and heartache though. Nope, there are some fun, witty moments that will bring a smile to your face and a giggle every now and then. This was a really sweet and touching story that has become one of my top favorites this year. Cecily Gates truly has a talent and is destined to take the world by storm with her outstanding storytelling abilities. An Imaginary House by the Sea is well worth your time and money and it is one that I highly recommend to just about anyone.

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://avidbookcollector.blogspot.com/2014/11/book-review-imaginary-house-by-sea.html