Book Review ~ Zac and Mia by A.J. Betts

Zac and Mia - A.J. Betts

WOW…just WOW!  It was so easy to get wrapped up in this story and not want to put it down until I finished it.  I absolutely LOVED Zac and Mia!  Some readers are comparing this to The Fault in Our Stars, but really, this book stands on its own.  Yes, it is about cancer and yes it is about two teenagers.  But where there was a love connection in TFIOS, Zac and Mia is about friendship and  how the powerful connection of that friendship can withstand anything life throws at them.

The story begins with Zac, a leukemia patient, in the hospital after receiving a bone marrow transplant.  Zac had such a positive attitude about everything that life dished out for him and his sense of humor was a wonderful and much needed relief in a story that deals with a very tough issue.  That comic relief was really needed when Mia enters the scene.  She had just been diagnosed with osteosarcoma and was really bitter about it.  She was more concerned with her appearance and her social life than needing to get better.  She took out her frustration the first few days by blasting Lady Gaga in her hospital room, and that is how Zac and Mia’s friendship begins.

Zac and Mia is a wonderful story about friendship, dealing with the horrible aspects of a life threatening disease and growing up.  I loved Zac’s family as they really were a great support team for Zac.  It was really inspiring to ’watch’ Mia transform from a whining, self-absorbed teenager, to someone who began to think less of herself and to care more about others.

Overall, this was a fantastic story with well-developed and well-liked characters. The story flowed so smoothly and was well written.  Ms. Betts did an outstanding job writing this one and I look forward to reading anything and everything that she publishes.

A great big thanks to HMH Books for Young Readers for providing me with an ARC of Zac and Mia to read and review.

Source: http://avidbookcollector.blogspot.com/2014/09/book-review-zac-and-mia-by-aj-betts.html#sthash.DCnktIYy.dpuf