Book Review ~ The Spirit Guide by Elizabeth Davies

The Spirit Guide - Elizabeth Davies

I have been a fan of Elizabeth Davies ever since I read her Resurrection Trilogy, so when she asked me if I would be interested in reviewing her newest book, The Spirit Guide, I was beyond excited!  I am so glad that I did read it because it is simply amazing!

Seren has an awesome gift, she can see spirits.  However, her gift is not so awesome in the twelfth century where some would see that as witchcraft.  Not so good for Seren.  She has guarded her secret forever, only slipping every now and then.

When it comes time for marriage, she has been betrothed to Rolf.  Although Rolf is good looking and comes from a good family line, Seren really has no desire for marriage.  The desire is even less when she meets George.  George is everything that a women desires. The only problem is, well, George is a spirit guide - no longer living - one that Seren can actually touch.  One would think this would be a problem, but with love, anything is possible!

Of course, every great story has to have a villain, and this story is no exception.  Vaughn is Seren's father-in-law and he is dabbling in the dark spirit realm.  Seren may have bitten off more than she could chew when she tries to solve the mystery of what Vaughn's intentions really are - and let me tell you, he is up to no good.

Seren's story is at times heartbreaking due to how women were treated back in that time.  At times, I wanted to kill Rolf (along with some other characters)  because how cruel and heartless he had become.  The fact that men back in that time thought nothing of taking a mistress while the wife was expected to just accept it is beyond appalling.  I loved it though when Seren was accused of sleeping with another man, and she responded that she had never slept with another 'living' man.  Way to go Seren - twist those words to work in your favor!

With an ending I did not see coming, Rolf and his mistress redeemed themselves by giving Seren and George a 'gift' and I have forgiven them (kind of) for the crap that they put Seren through.

This spectacular story drew me in with its descriptive words and characters I found myself really caring for.  This period in time has always fascinated me, and Ms. Davies really brought it to life within the pages.

Ms. Davies ability of combining history, paranormal aspects and romance in just the right way really drew me into this beautiful story.  The story flowed effortlessly and kept me engrossed throughout.  The Spirit Guide is a book that I would recommend and is definitely worth reading.

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://avidbookcollector.blogspot.com/2014/08/book-review-spirit-guide-by-elizabeth.html#sthash.645OtKAP.dpuf